Mary Fuller is co-managing partner and an audit and consulting partner with Shepard Schwartz & Harris. Ms. Fuller specializes in real estate audit, tax and consulting work related to shopping center, student housing, multi-family housing and office properties. She advises developers, property management companies and investment entities on a wide range of structure, tax efficiency and due diligence matters. Examples include:
- Due diligence related to property acquisition and disposition for shopping center development and management companies.
- CAM audits and tenant settlement billings for a Chicago-based REIT and several shopping center properties.
- Forecasts and projections related to syndication transactions for large real estate management companies.
- Tax and cash flow projections for several real estate partnership entities.
- Lease analysis, abstract and interpretation for commercial, industrial and residential property management companies.
- Tenant sales examinations for shopping center management companies.
- Audit, review and compilation engagements for property owners as necessitated by lenders and other outside parties.
- Assist management companies with common area cost issues, other tenant initiated audits and landlord/tenant disputes.
- Expert analysis and testimony related to landlord/tenant litigation.
In addition to her extensive real estate industry expertise, Ms. Fuller has testified for the US Attorney as an expert witness. Mary also oversees several SS&H teams in accounting, tax and other consulting services for restaurants, hotels, professional service firms and family office services. These teams have specialized in projects including:
- Internal control evaluations
- Compensation planning
- Business entity structuring and tax planning
- Cash flow management
- Cost reduction analysis
- Management efficiency studies
- Fraud investigation, evaluation and prevention
In 2015, Ms. Fuller was elected President of Commercial Real Estate Executive Women of Chicago (CREW), the culmination of her extensive involvement with the organization starting with her term as Treasurer in 2010.
In 2012, Ms. Fuller was named Managing Partner and is responsible for oversight of the firm's operations, recruiting and professional development of its professionals. A stalwart advocate for the advancement of women in the accounting profession, she was responsible for creating recruiting and retention initiatives at Shepard Schwartz & Harris to provide career and promotion opportunities for its female professionals. Today, she continues to be an active mentor to all the firm's young professionals.
In 2007, Ms. Fuller was named one of four "Women to Watch" by the Illinois CPA Society and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. This award recognizes women who have made a significant contribution to the accounting profession, their organizations, and the development of women as leaders.
- Commercial Real Estate Executive Women of Chicago (CREW) - Immediate Past President (2018); President (2016 - 2017); President-Elect (2015); Vice President (2014); Treasurer (2010 - 2013)
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- National Association of Real Estate Companies (Peer Span)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Illinois CPA Society – Committee Member, Real Estate Special Interest Group
- Goldie B. Wolfe Miller Women Leaders in Real Estate Initiative Mentor at Roosevelt University (2009-present)
- Joseph and Joyce Freed Tomorrow's Leaders in Real Estate Initiative Mentor at Roosevelt University (2009)
- Changing Worlds – Resource Development Committee (2007-2009)
- Girl Scouts–Prairie Winds, Inc. – Finance Committee (2003-2008), Board of Directors (2003-2005)
Areas of Expertise
- Certified Public Accountant
- B.S., Business Administration, University of Illinois – Chicago