Mary Fuller is co-managing partner and consulting partner with Shepard Schwartz & Harris. Ms. Fuller specializes in real estate audit, tax and consulting work related to shopping center, student housing, multi-family housing and office properties. She advises developers, property management companies and investment entities on a wide range of structure, tax efficiency and due diligence matters. Examples include:
- Due diligence related to property acquisition and disposition for real estate development and management companies.
- CAM audits and tenant settlement billings for a Chicago-based REIT and several shopping center properties.
- Forecasts and projections related to syndication transactions for large real estate management companies.
- Tax and cash flow projections for several real estate partnership entities.
- Lease analysis, abstract and interpretation for commercial, industrial and residential property management companies.
- Audit, review and compilation engagements for property owners as necessitated by lenders and other outside parties.
- Assist management companies with common area cost issues, other tenant initiated audits and landlord/tenant disputes.
- Expert analysis and testimony related to landlord/tenant litigation.
In addition to her extensive real estate industry expertise, Ms. Fuller has testified for the US Attorney as an expert witness. Mary also oversees several SS&H teams in accounting, tax and other consulting services for professional service firms and family office services. These teams have specialized in projects including:
- Internal control evaluations
- Compensation planning
- Business entity structuring and tax planning
- Cash flow management
- Cost reduction analysis
- Management efficiency studies
- Fraud investigation, evaluation and prevention
In 2022, Ms. Fuller was appointed to serve as the 2022 - 2023 Board Chair of the Illinois CPA Society (ICPAS), a more than 22,600 member organization and one of the largest state CPA Societies in the Nation. Ms. Fuller also serves as a Council Member of the Association of International Certified Professional Accountants (AICPA).
Ms. Fuller was elected as President of Commercial Real Estate Executive Women of Chicago (CREW) in 2016 and 2017, the culmination of her extensive involvement with the organization starting with her term as Treasurer in 2010. In 2021, Ms. Fuller was appointed to the CREW Distinguished & Notable Advisory (DNA) Board.
In 2012, Ms. Fuller was named Managing Partner and is responsible for oversight of the firm's operations, recruiting and professional development of its professionals. A stalwart advocate for the advancement of women in the accounting profession, she was responsible for creating recruiting and retention initiatives at Shepard Schwartz & Harris to provide career and promotion opportunities for its female professionals. Today, she continues to be an active mentor to the firm's young professionals.
In 2007, Ms. Fuller was named one of four "Women to Watch" by the ICPAS and the AICPA. This award recognizes women who have made a significant contribution to the accounting profession, their organizations, and the development of women as leaders.
- Illinois CPA Society (ICPAS) – Board Chair (2022 - 2023), Vice-Chair (2021 - 2022), Secretary (2020 - 2021), Director (2019 - 2020), Committee Member of various committees including CEO Search Committee, Strategic Planning Committee, Women’s Executive Committee, and Real Estate Special Interest Group
- Association of International Certified Professional Accountants (AICPA) – Council Member (2020 – present)
- Commercial Real Estate Executive Women of Chicago (CREW) – Distinguished & Notable Advisory Board (2021); Immediate Past President (2018 & 2019); President (2016 & 2017); President-Elect (2015); Vice President (2014); Treasurer (2010 - 2013)
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Goldie B. Wolfe Miller Women Leaders in Real Estate Initiative Mentor at Roosevelt University (2009 - 2011)
- Joseph and Joyce Freed Tomorrow's Leaders in Real Estate Initiative Mentor at Roosevelt University (2009)
- Changing Worlds – Resource Development Committee (2007 - 2009)
- Girl Scouts–Prairie Winds, Inc. – Finance Committee (2003 - 2008), Board of Directors (2003 - 2005)
Areas of Expertise
- Certified Public Accountant
- B.S., Business Administration, University of Illinois – Chicago