Leo Miller is a tax manager with Shepard Schwartz & Harris, LLP, where he provides compliance and consulting services to closely-held and privately owned businesses and the families that own them. With over 35 years of professional experience, he is well-versed in organizing new businesses and evaluating and establishing risk management for established companies. He also enjoys assisting families with their personal income tax needs, maintaining an eye to managing the amount of cash expended on Federal and state tax. He works regularly with investment partnerships and LLCs, trusts and estates. He also helps families with wealth transfer strategies, both between generations and charitable giving.
Leo focuses his practice on our clients in the manufacturing and distribution industry as well as the real estate and construction industry. For these businesses his work includes:
- Income tax compliance and planning for corporations, S Corporations, partnerships and LLCs
- Transaction planning for tax minimization, including like-kind exchange, cost segregation analysis, inventory cost capitalization, percentage of completion, etc.
- Consulting on state tax issues including nexus, unitary versus separate company filing, composite returns for shareholders and apportionment of business income
- Retirement and deferred compensation planning to assist companies with executive retention and wealth transfer and diversification for owners.
Leo is a graduate of St. John’s University in Collegeville, MN with a bachelor’s degree in accounting. He has also completed his master’s degree in Taxation at DePaul University in Chicago. He joined Shepard, Schwartz & Harris in 2014. Prior to joining our firm, he was with an international Big 4 firm for twenty-five years after which he led tax practices in St. Cloud, MN, and Schaumburg, IL, for ten years.
Leo and his wife Mary enjoy good music, good food and travel. They live in Chicago where they are active with The Moody Church and chasing grandchildren. Leo has previously served leadership roles with Rotary, United Way, South Bend Symphony Orchestra and with different band parent organizations.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Illinois CPA Society
- The Moody Church - Deacon; Next Chapter Community leader; Chair of Fellowship Committee
Areas of Expertise
- Certified Public Accountant
M.S., Taxation, DePaul University
B.S., Accounting, St. John's University