Areas of Expertise
- Certified Public Accountant
- Licensed Attorney (Illinois)
- Certified Specialist in Estate Planning
- J.D., Loyola School of Law – Recipient of American Jurisprudence Awards for Constitutional Law and Corporate Tax
- B.B.A., with honors, Loyola University of Chicago
Kathy Garlow is a tax partner with Shepard Schwartz & Harris LLP where she specializes in income tax and estate and gift tax planning for high net worth individuals and their families. Providing consulting and tax expertise, Ms. Garlow advises these families with their personal income tax returns as well as investment partnerships and LLCs, trusts, estates, and private foundations. With a designation as a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Ms. Garlow consults families on wealth transfers between generations as well as charitable giving. She has expansive experience working on estate tax returns, funding the testamentary trusts and planning for the related income taxes. Ms. Garlow patiently and thoroughly explains the process with the surviving spouse and/or family.
When working with high net worth individuals and corporate executives, Kathy provides the following services:
- Executive compensation taxation analysis
- Stock option planning
- Retirement funding review
- Deferred compensation plan development
- Pre and post marital status issues
- Comprehensive financial planning
In 2017, Ms. Garlow was named as one of the “Most Influential Women in Accounting” by Crain’s Chicago Business. Kathy was also honored with a 2012 "Women to Watch" Award by the Illinois CPA Society and the AICPA, which recognizes women CPAs for contributions to the profession and their firms. Kathy lectures on numerous topics including “IRAs and Related Retirement Planning Methods”, “Executive Compensation”, “Tax Considerations for Divorced Spouses”, “Employee v. Independent Contractor Issues”, “Tax Tips for Investors”, “Income Tax Primer for Investment Professionals”, “Tax Planning for Start-Up Companies”, and “Creating a Tax-Exempt Organization”.
Ms. Garlow currently serves as Secretary of the Federal Taxation Section Council of the Illinois State Bar Association. Ms. Garlow co-chaired the Chicago Bar Association Tax Law Committee for two years. She also serves on the board of the Chicago Estate Planning Council. As an active member of The Chicago Financial Planning Group and the Exclusive Professional Women’s Networking Group, Ms. Garlow expands her network to form relationships with a variety of other professionals from the legal, insurance and financial planning communities.
For Shepard, Schwartz & Harris LLP, is the director of the firm’s college internship program where she has successfully mentored over 100 interns by providing invaluable experience and insight into the rewards and challenges of a public accounting career. She was an intern at Shepard, Schwartz & Harris LLP and joined the firm after completing her undergraduate studies.
- 2012 Women to Watch Award recipient
- Chicago Estate Planning Council - Board Member
- Illinois Bar Association - Federal Taxation Section Council , Secretary
- Chicago Bar Association - Co-Chair of the Young Lawyer Section Tax Law Committee (2002-2004)
- American Bar Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Illinois CPA Society
- The Chicago Financial Planning Group
- Exclusive Professional Women's Networking Group
- Five Star Wealth Manager (2010-2018)
- Elmhurst Junior Women’s Club – Past President
- Visitation Church Lector, Elmhurst, Illinois
News & Insights
- SS&H's Kathy Garlow Appointed as Vice-Chair of the ISBA Federal Tax Section Council for 2018-2019April 2018