- Certified Public Accountant
B.S., Accountancy, DePaul University
Joanna Brzostowski is a Manager with Shepard Schwartz & Harris LLP. She has significant experience in the areas of accounting and auditing for not-for-profit organizations and real estate clients, including:
- Preparing financial audits, reviews and compilations.
- Preparing and reviewing tax returns for partnerships, corporations, individuals and organizations exempt from income tax.
- Reviewing for potential unrelated business income tax (UBIT).
- Consulting on the application for tax exempt status.
- Assisting with the application for reinstatement of tax exempt status.
- Support for other tax filings such as payroll tax, sales and property tax exemptions, etc.
- Assisting clients with questions regarding potential accounting and auditing issues affecting not-for-profit organizations.
- Researching and preparing memorandums for the firm’s professionals and its clients regarding not-for-profit issues.
In her role as the Manager on several of the firm’s not-for-profit client engagements, Ms. Brzostowski is responsible for monitoring changes within the not-for-profit audit area. In addition, she prepares financial audits, reviews and compilations for the firm’s clients in construction and homebuilder industries.
Ms. Brzostowski started with Shepard Schwartz & Harris in 2000 as an audit intern, went to work for one of the large public accounting firms, and returned to Shepard Schwartz & Harris in 2004.
She and her husband live in a house with their two sons. She enjoys spending time with her family and watching Disney movies and she is a diehard Chicago Cubs fan.
- Pricewaterhouse-Coopers Minority Scholar Intern (Summer 2001 and Summer 2002)
- Team Member of the 2nd Place Winning DePaul Team in Deloitte & Touche’s National Student Case Completion (2000)