- Certified Public Accountant
- Master in Science of Taxation, DePaul University Kellstadt Graduate School of Business
- Bachelor of Science in Commerce, DePaul University
Alex Alonso is a tax manager with Shepard Schwartz & Harris LLP. She specializes in income tax planning and compliance for privately owned businesses and their owners, particularly professional service entities and high net worth individuals. As a tax planning and compliance specialist, Ms. Alonso:
- Prepares and reviews projections for year end tax planning for both businesses and individuals.
- Researches and assists in the preparation of tax memorandums for the firm’s professionals and its clients.
- Prepares and reviews federal and state tax returns, including individual, fiduciary, partnership, corporate, private foundation, gift, payroll and sales tax returns.
- Advises the firm’s professional service clientele on tax strategies pertaining to everyday operations.
For high net worth individuals, Ms. Alonso prepares quarterly projections to determine income and required tax payments. She advises on tax strategies and reviews tax scenarios of investment portfolios. In client discussions, Ms. Alonso gathers necessary information to maximize our clients’ fully allowable deductions.
In addition to her work on tax compliance matters, Ms. Alonso teaches continuing professional education seminars for the firm’s professionals on a variety of tax-related topics. She is also a key member of the Shepard Schwartz & Harris Tax Internship Program. Ms. Alonso works with our interns on a daily basis, introducing tax laws and compliance techniques to them.
Ms. Alonso started with Shepard Schwartz & Harris in 1999 as a tax intern, went to work in one of the large public accounting firms, and returned to Shepard Schwartz & Harris in 2005.
- Illinois CPA Society
- Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting (ALPFA) - Member, Membership Committee (2010-2011)
- School of Accountancy and MIS Graduate Assistantship (2003-2004 Academic Year)
- Deloitte & Touche Minority Scholar Intern (Winter 2002 and Winter 2003)
- San Miguel Schools, Former Finance and Audit Committee Member
- DePaul University MAHA, Former Alumni Mentor